Friday 29 July 2011

Event Review #5 - Nico Jaar @ Fabric

Writing this while I remember it...

I've seen Nico Jaar before, in CAMP, and to be honest, hes a challenging person to get into (no pun intended), even more so live...  Which is why I was especially surprised to see 2 nights of him playing live at Fabric, looking at the line ups and the times it was no contest which day to go for, the 4am finish winning out over the Wednesday...

So I arrive, at 10.10pm ish and the queue for the very limited on the door tickets is insane, makes me glad I bought mine in advance, I get in and contrary to the line up poster for this night Soul Clap are opening (it was meant to be Gadi Mizrahi), they do their thing nicely mixing up old and new funk eg


At which I went mental - I am actually quite annoyed they played this because this was my secret weapon, never mind...  Tracks from Barry White and Jamie Foxx went with it before Gadi finally arrived and took people down into a deeper rabbit hole.

Valentin Stip was on first on the stage at midnight and he did his thing, I was very irritated by the people at the front of the stage almost booing him for starting too slow, you can never rush a live artist.  Tried to show my support by clapping a lot (was quite drunk by this time), so not sure if that got through, he did seem very nervous though...  Anyway he played some great dubsteppy tracks, very deep and mournful even, but with lots of energy...

Nico Jaar was up next on the larger part of the stage of Rm 1 and this was when I made my escape to the bar, I've seen Jaar before, and I know what to expect.  I also know what to expect of a crowd that is not expecting what they are hearing from a Jaar show = crush.  He was typically Bohemic in his track selection with the sax player particularly prominent in several tracks, unfortunately so because he wasn't particularly good...

Soul Clap then finished the night off and this is where the review ends because I don't remember much past 2am....

Cheers and good night

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment